Pages

Tuesday, March 15, 2011

Finding My Nemo - Part III

As the treadmill steadily ramped up in intensity, I felt more overwhelmed by what might be discovered from my CT results than how the stress test would turn out. My cardiologist entered the room with a minute left to go and while reading my EKG, concluded that my heart was functioning well. He added that my CT showed reasons for concern. I would soon come to realize how fortunate I was to have my wife join me at the appointment on this unconventional Valentine’s Day.

What the doctor revealed hit me hard. I had developed an aneurysm at the base of my aorta as a result of my defective valve. In simple terms, Nemo caused my aortic root to balloon. It was currently dilated at 4.5cm. The threshold for surgery is 5cm. When John Ritter died, dilation in his aorta reached 6cm. The big question was how long did it take for my aorta to expand? The bigger question was not if, but how soon will it have to be surgically replaced?

Considering the recent, significant change that I felt within my body and the possibility that the aneurysm could rupture, “better safe than sorry” blurred into “now or never”. This was going to happen…and soon.

Sitting in the car in the parking lot after the doctor visit, my wife and I held hands…stunned and speechless. The sound of rain on the windshield peppered the silence. I was struck with images of both of my parents in their hospital beds, battling their incurable illnesses – stung by the stiff jabs of reality. This thirty-something was going to have open heart surgery.

Weeks later, at my consultation with the surgeon, the courage came to me. As we discussed the procedure in detail, I realized that the fear and pain of recovering from the operation was nothing compared to that of uncertainty and the unknown. Remembering that I had strength in my family, my friends, and my amazing wife washed away my doubts: I was determined to survive this!

After May 26th, a mechanical valve like this will be my life.

3 comments:

  1. Liz and I will have you in our thoughts and prayers. You have a great attitude and undoubtedly will come out of this even stronger. Let us know if we can help in anyway.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Derek, your friend up there is right. You have a great attitude. Your body is young. Keep it up! If you or your family out here needs anything, please let us know. You're in our prayers.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you both! Your thoughts and prayers help keep me positive. Because of you, I expect to bounce back from my surgery...undoubtedly and completely!

    ReplyDelete